Glastonbury 2013

- Arctic Monkeys 'Do I wanna Know?’
Hi there, if you’ve not stumbled across this blog of little gems before then welcome, for those regular readers I’m TG from The Stone Roses: Finsbury Park guest blogging fame. In a similar vein, this post will bring you up to speed about my little trip to Worthy Farm, in the West country back in June.

I rocked up at Glastonbury with my brother and his housemate on Thursday 26th June, full of excitement and a cider or two from the train ride. To say our morning had been eventful would be understatement. Amongst hitting rush hour in London, running to catch a tube more bags than we had hands and queuing in Paddington station for over an hour, we had made it, just as the heavens were about to open. Our first task was to get to our camp site and pitch up. Luckily though we had an insider in our ranks, and were picked up at the entrance by one of the main bar owners who’d tee’d us up with a spot in the staff camping site, just outside the main perimeter. We hastily grabbed our wrist bands that gave us access to the site and put our tent together.
Though Thursday night was relatively tame compared to what was to come, it did give me a chance to see Glastonbury first hand, initially in Meeting point bar, pictured above, where a work colleague of mine was spinning some decks, and then at West Holts Bar, where we watched a great jazz fusion set. The night went off without incident and before I knew it was Friday morning and the real Glastonbury was about to come alive and introduce itself to me. With a fry up inside of me, we entered the park on an overcast day for what was to become 16 hours of exploring, drinking, eating and partying. During the evening we caught some great live music, including Dizzee Rascal and Arctic Monkeys on the pyramid stage, followed by a trip to Arcadia, below. The giant fire throwing spider lit the early hours up whilst tunes were blasted out of it’s underbelly. On retiring to bed in the early hours, I knew I’d experienced something special, something that was sure to be run very close the following day.

Primal Scream & Rolling Stones were always on the cards for the Saturday night viewing, but little did I know the day itself would be a red hot affair, with clouds refusing to show up in one of the bluest skies I’ve ever seen, or am ever likely to see again. On wandering around the site that day we had already taken in the impressive looking Block9, below, to which I’d return in the early hours, amongst thousands others, before finishing the night in the mayhem driven Shangri-La and aptly named Shangri-hell. This day and night had let me see another side to Glastonbury, a slightly more hardcore version and after 3 nights it was no wonder I was feeling ready for the trip home the next day.

Sunday’s headline act was Mumford & Sons, but by the time they took to the stage I was already back in England’s capital, taking a bath and preparing myself for the day I’d booked off work on Monday to rest & recuperate. Given the chance I’d love to do Glastonbury again and there’s little about my first experience I’d change. If you're reading this and debating whether to go next year then my words and pictures really can't do it justice. Quite simply, it's called the biggest and best festival going for a reason.

Until next time, peace out TG

Comments

Popular Posts